Dentistry, or dental medicine, is a branch of medicine focused on the teeth, gums, and mouth. These form important components of your body that help in functions like mastication and speech, in addition to providing aesthetic enhancement to your face. One subspecialty of dentistry that is gaining momentum is orthodontics.
The dentist in Hollywood, FL, and their team provide orthodontic services that focus on aligning your bite and straightening your teeth.
What is orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a subspecialty in dentistry that focuses on diagnosing and treating improper or bad bite (malocclusion). The way your teeth align has an impact on your oral health. By improving the way your upper and lower arch teeth meet, you can greatly reduce your risk for a cascade of oral health issues like cavities, gum disease, and erosion.
Who is an orthodontist?
An orthodontist is a dentist trained to diagnose, prevent, and treat teeth and jaw discrepancies. They are trained to correct existing conditions and are skilled to detect problems that may arise in the future. Orthodontists help enhance your smile, which is associated with good oral health. This plays a vital role in your overall well-being.
What are some common orthodontic problems?
There are several types of orthodontic problems, including:
- Crowded teeth
- Overlapping teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Rotated teeth
What are the procedures involved in orthodontics?
- These appliances include brackets and archwires that help shift your teeth into the desired position over a period of time.
- Clear aligners
- These are a series of clear custom-made plastic trays that help shift your teeth to the desired alignment.
- These are custom-made appliances that keep your teeth from drifting out of their proper position.
- Palate expanders
- These are often used in children to widen the upper jaw.
- They create extra space without the need for tooth extractions or other procedures.
What are the benefits of orthodontics?
Orthodontic procedures provide cosmetic benefits by enhancing your smile and facial aesthetics. However, they offer additional benefits like:
- Align the teeth in a proper position, making them easier to clean
- Straightening the teeth can improve chewing and speech
- These procedures can ease pain related to TMJ disorder
- Teeth alignment can reduce your risk of oral issues like tooth cavities and gum disease
Orthodontic treatments help enhance your oral form and function, in addition to improving your smile. Based on your needs there are several treatments offered by specially trained dentists known as orthodontists. Discuss your goals and expectations to rejuvenate and improve your quality of oral health.